homestead - Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:17:30 -0500

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Marie. Luckily, I was always pretty well-rounded(still am, but in a different, more physical way..LOL), so maybe that will push my mind past those 30's and support me into my 50's. Perhaps the math thing is why scientist types lose it early. Advanced mathematics will make anyone lose their mind, even if you like math! I do like math because it is so absolute and truly is a language all its own if you think of extraterrestrial intelligence and music and such. It is a form of communication and expression...math is music and visa versa. But advanced math really ages your brain.
I had a good day at work today, maybe the best day so far-with kudos and attaboys and all of that,(for those who don't speak Southern, it is short for "that is a good boy" and is usually accompanied by a back pat) but the implication is that I will be learning, rather re-learning, even more than I thought possible just a week ago. I need to beef up on my physics and trig...time to study light and optics again...

Bev, who will, as of Friday, be making the big swap to Hughesnet-NO MORE DIALUP!!!

Marie McHarry wrote:
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:38 AM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com> wrote

> , I honestly feel like I am getting Alzheimer's because I see my
> recall slipping. I will know that I knew it at some point, but
> can't recall it. Additionally, I'm apparently not recording
> information in the same way as I once did.

No, it's common for people who used to have minds that stored sources
of information like a bibliography find as they grow old (and wear
the bottoms of their trousers rolled) that they know something, but
can't cite a source to save their souls. So far as I can tell, this
is mainly a problem who go for a PhD when they are over 40; the rest
of us can use Google.

On the other hand, some days, like today,
> everything seems so clear to me, and all the pieces of life-arts,
> science, love, pain, fit together in meaningful ways. What is
> really odd is that I've noticed more decline since I quit smoking.

Yes, and you've gotten older since then too, right? And you've
started to worry about your brain as you're using it more intensely?

It is commonly believed (for what that's worth) that chemists and
physicists peak in their late 20s, early 30s. Poets, writers, and
philosophers just keep getting better until they're senile. Only G*d
knows what mathematicians do.

Me, I'm a philosopher. :)