homestead - Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:06:41 -0600

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 1:38 AM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com> wrote
> , I honestly feel like I am getting Alzheimer's because I see
> my recall slipping.  I will know that I knew it at some point, but can't
> recall it.  Additionally, I'm apparently not recording information in
> the same way as I once did.

No, it's common for people who used to have minds that stored sources
of information like a bibliography find as they grow old (and wear the
bottoms of their trousers rolled) that they know something, but can't
cite a source to save their souls. So far as I can tell, this is
mainly a problem who go for a PhD when they are over 40; the rest of
us can use Google.

On the other hand, some days, like today,
> everything seems so clear to me, and all the pieces of life-arts,
> science, love, pain, fit together in meaningful ways.  What is really
> odd is that I've noticed more decline since I quit smoking.

Yes, and you've gotten older since then too, right? And you've started
to worry about your brain as you're using it more intensely?

It is commonly believed (for what that's worth) that chemists and
physicists peak in their late 20s, early 30s. Poets, writers, and
philosophers just keep getting better until they're senile. Only G*d
knows what mathematicians do.

Me, I'm a philosopher. :)

Marie