homestead - Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:17:23 -0800

EarthNSky wrote:
Perhaps the math thing is why scientist types lose it early. Advanced mathematics will make anyone lose their mind, even if you like math!
Math is very good for the mind and keeping it sharp. I had several advanced math courses in college, classes such as non linear algebra and topology. At one time I was deep into number theory, it was all fun. In my career I worked as an electronics engineer doing embedded software development. I did some fairly hairy math with early 8 bit processors in assembly language and did work with early TI DSPs and Intel RISC machines. I helped buld LASER RADAR systems and systolic Array Processors directing LASERS with rubber mirrors. A favorite project was a satellite passenger that looked at the sun through the upper atmosphere over the poles. Doing milti order filters in 80286 assembly because there was not enough processor cycles to run them in C.

Now that I am no longer working with that I miss it. I am currently taking a course on the PIC micro controller and have built a PIC programming board. It just today accepted its first download and ran a diagnostics program. A dumb little controller but cheap and fun.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU