homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 14:47:33 -0800

Tim Oppenheim wrote:
And I finally decided that, if it comes down to it, in the event of
some major catastrophe that ends grid power for all time, I will
revert to living as my grandparents did, without power. That is what I
do when the grid fails now anyway.

YMMV,

I was looking at 2000 watts for emergency, worst case stuff. Last year we
survived for week during the ice storm for a week with my 1800 watt
generator, so I kind of have an idea on what will run. In a longer term
emergency etc. it would be nice to have something. I hope to build this into
my shop which would have a lot lower needs than a house.

So does anyone have some ideas what this would run?

Dan,

Thanks for all the numbers. Do you use any solar for your trailer
When not connected to shore power solar provides all my power. Something has broken between the tow vehicle and trailer disconnecting the tow vehicle charging system from the trailer and even more important causing me to lose trailer brakes on a steep hill. The charging connection has been bad for some time now but the brakes failed on the last hill I had to go down. Luckly a friend with a four wheel drive pickup was near so he chained to the back of the trailer and we finished the remaining quarter mile very slowly.

For the last couple of trips across country I did not know the charging system was disconnected. I would stop for the night, use the computer, read, maybe watch a DVD or have a CD in the player. The batteries were charged by solar. The last time from CA to MO was rainy most of the way but I did get enough sun in the mornings to make up for what I used at night.

I sort of wish that I had discovered the charging system problem earlier, then maybe I would have discovered the brake failure before testing my blood pressure on that hill. I think the fix is to replace the plug on the trailer and the socket on the pickup.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU