homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: Tim Oppenheim <timopp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:53:17 -0600

> And I finally decided that, if it comes down to it, in the event of
> some major catastrophe that ends grid power for all time, I will
> revert to living as my grandparents did, without power. That is what I
> do when the grid fails now anyway.
>
> YMMV,

I was looking at 2000 watts for emergency, worst case stuff. Last year we
survived for week during the ice storm for a week with my 1800 watt
generator, so I kind of have an idea on what will run. In a longer term
emergency etc. it would be nice to have something. I hope to build this into
my shop which would have a lot lower needs than a house.

So does anyone have some ideas what this would run?

Dan,

Thanks for all the numbers. Do you use any solar for your trailer?

Tim