homestead - Re: [Homestead] A little (or a lot) of resistance pays off

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A little (or a lot) of resistance pays off
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 13:22:32 -0600

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Gloria Morris <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> So much for Bush being less "big government" and Obama being more. I
> love it when political stereotypes are demolished by reality. :)
>
> This is good news for small producers and homesteaders.

The system, as designed, was always insane (not that that alone
usually stops the feds when they have their minds' made up). It was
all based on one cow and it was intended to apply to all livestock,
even those not known to be affected by BSE. On the face of it, that's
a huge waste of money, and a huge expensive for all producers (and
probably prohibitive for small ones). To my way of thinking, for what
that's worth, not accepting downer cows at stock yards probably went a
long way in preventing the appearance of any more cows in which BSE
could be detected from appearing in the food supply. After all, unless
the science has rapidly advanced the disease can't even be detected in
cattle younger than three or four years.

Personally, I think it was part of a general trend in government to
make consumers terrified of everything.

Marie