homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 17:24:57 EST

I had a good friend who reduced his need during emergencies in Michigan by
moving living space. He had a basement bedroom bath and living area with
kitchenette and small efficient fridge. He stayed here in the summer and let
the cool earth keep temps down. he moderately cooled the ground level. He
also had a converted attic bedroom space that he used during winter that
collected any rising heat, and just heated this level in winter, keeping the
ground level in the 50's. In an emergency he retreated to the appropriate
floor, tripped breakers off in the rest of the house and just had juice to
that small area. His solar and occasional gas generators kept him going
indefinately. He ran lights, radio and the smaller fridge (in the winter it
barely had to kick in) off about 2000 and could splurge a little. His 9 cell
laptop battery ran his computer in efficient mode for 5.5 hours and could be
recharged off the car lighter, or generator when he was running it, It took
maybe 45 mins to charge, so not a bad tradeoff. He cooked off a gas
camping stove mostly.

Drew

In a message dated 2/5/2010 4:53:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
timopp AT gmail.com writes:

> And I finally decided that, if it comes down to it, in the event of
> some major catastrophe that ends grid power for all time, I will
> revert to living as my grandparents did, without power. That is what I
> do when the grid fails now anyway.
>
> YMMV,

I was looking at 2000 watts for emergency, worst case stuff. Last year we
survived for week during the ice storm for a week with my 1800 watt
generator, so I kind of have an idea on what will run. In a longer term
emergency
etc. it would be nice to have something. I hope to build this into my shop
which would have a lot lower needs than a house.

So does anyone have some ideas what this would run?

Dan,

Thanks for all the numbers. Do you use any solar for your trailer?

Tim