homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 12:50:51 -0800

Leslie wrote:
2000 watts is not going to going to provide much electricity. That is 2k for an entire
day. There are some "solar generators" available for low cost that provide
that kind of KW. They are similar to a backup gas generator for short power outages,
except instead of an engine they have a deep cycle battery, and a solar panel. The
ones I've seen have wheels and a handle to make moving them around easy.
I doubt if they would provide 2KW for any length of time. 2 KW is a bit over 16 Amps at 120 VAC and 166 Amps at 12 VDC. A T-105 Deep cycle battery weighs 45 pounds and two are needed. Maximum discharge rate of a battery is C/20 or 20% of the Ah rating. For a 220 Ah that is 44 Amps. 44 Amps in 10 hours will completely discharge the battery and that 44 Amps is 480 Watts at 120 VAC. Plus batteries do not being discharged below 50% State of Charge, it leads to a very early battery death.

There is no free lunch and god does not exist.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU