homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shaking the grid
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:04:11 -0800 (PST)

2000 watts is not going to going to provide much electricity.  That is 2k for
an entire day.  There are some "solar generators" available for low cost that
provide that kind of KW.  They are similar to a backup gas generator for
short power outages, except instead of an engine they have a deep cycle
battery, and a solar panel.  The ones I've seen have wheels and a handle to
make moving them around easy.

Step one look at your monthly bill, and divide by 30 days to find out your
avg KWH usage.

KW and KWH aren't the same, as some appliances use a fairly steady amount of
KW per hour, and others cycle on and off throughout the day (i.e. a
refrigerator).

Coffee pots are electricity hogs.  Microwave ovens use more wattage, but
often it is just for a few minutes at a time.

Heating, hot water, stovetop cooking most refrigeration, isn't cost efficient
on solar.

Solar Oven is one economical change that can be made (about $225 bux), but
requires a lifestyle change.
Think of it as a solar crock pot.... although oven temps can get to 400
degrees, for baking, etc.

The least expensive set up is to grid-tie, so that you are feeding any unused
electiricy back to the power co, and you get a credit on your bill, or an
actual check.

Odds do not favor electricity prices getting lower, so today's price for
solar is relative to today's cost per KWH, but not against tomorrow's
increased cost of KWH.

Google used solar systems for sale.  There are a number of people who are
cash strapped who are selling entire systems.

I too would love to get into this, but the costs are so high. Does anyone
have sources for less expensive voltaics? What's a practical/optimum setup
for generating 1800 to 2000 watts? There are a lot of resources on the web,
but which ones work?

Tim
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/cayadopi%40yahoo.com
View the archives at: