homestead - Re: [Homestead] pears

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pears
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:04:58 -0600

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:
> I don't know that much about pears but we've had Bartletts on various
> properties and they all matured like instantly and we'd have to can like
> crazy or they'd all rot.

I don't know that there are any pears that keep like apples. I love
pears but they don't last. My sister has two tre es and at least one
of them is producing the best pears I've ever had. Alas, the season is
short. We picked a half dozen or so off the tree and I chewed my way
through them in a couple of days. When I called her to tell her to
bring a few more just a week later they were all gone.

Interestingly, coyotes really, really like pears. At least one and
maybe a pair had been coming in and eating all the pears on the
ground. Her dogs took serious exception to that, since they liked the
pears too.