homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tool question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <gil.white AT xplornet.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tool question
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:17:43 -0800

Well, I'm going with Lithium batteries this time. They don't have a "memory" and supposedly they last longer between charges than a NiCad. We shall see. I do know that with the whole memory thing that the old batteries would one day simply stop taking a charge that was worth bothering with. They're so blooming heavy, I figure there might be a business in selling them to folks who do shot put and they could use them for practicing <g>

I have an old 14" Craftsman chainsaw that has out worked a dozen other chainsaws but it was from when Poulan wasn't building chainsaws for Sears. Also got a couple of other saw but they are both OLD. I don't think any of the new generation is worth spit!

Lynda
--"I'm fascinated by the hard line you're drawing over religion -- It gets
used too much, as an excuse, a fall guy, a weapon, a con. A lot of people,
maybe most, don't mean it except when it suits them." Dallas
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gil White" <gil.white AT xplornet.com>

I've had mixed luck with Craftsman tools.

I purchased a set of wrenches and sockets years ago that have been abused with barely a scratch. As a few people mentioned earlier, I use the 3/8 set for just about everything, though I generally prefer the 6 sided sockets. Even with heat or rust penetrator, I find the 12 sided sockets don't get the same kind of grip.

The one thing I use the 1/2 for is torquing tires. By 1/2" I mean the sockets, I couldn't tell you the last time I used the wrench itself.

I'm less impressed with the Craftsman power tools. I have a 30 year old radial arm saw that's been a real workhorse but both the corded and cordless Craftsman drills have no torque at all. And even with a straight edge I could never cut a straight line with their jigsaw. I also have a Craftsman reciprocating saw that I've been meaning to replace just about since I bought it. The only thing I use it for is pure destruction work.

The other thing I like is when they have their screwdriver sets on sale. They're not my favourite ( check out LeeValley.com if you want some beautiful screwdrivers ) but they're good enough that I keep a set in the car. I also gave my dad a set for Christmas one year, I got tired of him asking me to do some little job and he never had the right size screwdriver around.

I used to subscribe to Fine Homebuilding and they have pretty good tool comparisons. Their audience is more contractors then do it yourself people but they usually include a few tools in their reviews that we might actually purchase.

As for cordless drills, I had purchased a Dewalt drill to augment the Craftsmen. I had been happy with the drill but I've been revising my opinion over the batteries. After about 18 months, one of the batteries is completely shot and won't hold a charge at all. The second battery will only hold a charge for a few hours (no use) and only a few screws worth if you actually use it. And a new battery costs almost as much as I spent on the tool. Now that was one of the 14.4 volt models but I think I'll try a different brand the next time I start a real reno project.