homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tool question

  • From: Gil White <gil.white AT xplornet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tool question
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:19:12 +0000 (GMT)

I've had mixed luck with Craftsman tools.

I purchased a set of wrenches and sockets years ago that have been abused
with barely a scratch. As a few people mentioned earlier, I use the 3/8 set
for just about everything, though I generally prefer the 6 sided sockets.
Even with heat or rust penetrator, I find the 12 sided sockets don't get the
same kind of grip.

The one thing I use the 1/2 for is torquing tires. By 1/2" I mean the
sockets, I couldn't tell you the last time I used the wrench itself.

I'm less impressed with the Craftsman power tools. I have a 30 year old
radial arm saw that's been a real workhorse but both the corded and cordless
Craftsman drills have no torque at all. And even with a straight edge I could
never cut a straight line with their jigsaw. I also have a Craftsman
reciprocating saw that I've been meaning to replace just about since I bought
it. The only thing I use it for is pure destruction work.

The other thing I like is when they have their screwdriver sets on sale.
They're not my favourite ( check out LeeValley.com if you want some beautiful
screwdrivers ) but they're good enough that I keep a set in the car. I also
gave my dad a set for Christmas one year, I got tired of him asking me to do
some little job and he never had the right size screwdriver around.

I used to subscribe to Fine Homebuilding and they have pretty good tool
comparisons. Their audience is more contractors then do it yourself people
but they usually include a few tools in their reviews that we might actually
purchase.

As for cordless drills, I had purchased a Dewalt drill to augment the
Craftsmen. I had been happy with the drill but I've been revising my opinion
over the batteries.  After about 18 months, one of the batteries is
completely shot and won't hold a charge at all. The second battery will only
hold a charge for a few hours (no use) and only a few screws worth if you
actually use it. And a new battery costs almost as much as I spent on the
tool. Now that was one of the 14.4 volt models but I think I'll try a
different brand the next time I start a real reno project.

Gil