homestead - Re: [Homestead] Drug screens and the way things should be

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Drug screens and the way things should be
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:05:11 -0400

I've worked in hospitals, law enforcement, geotechnical consulting companies and the chemical industry and all required testing, both pre-employment and post employment. In addition to that, I worked at Eckerd Drugs in college, a local grocer chain, and most recently a few years ago at the Piggly Wiggly. All required pre-employment drug testing. I've been randomly tested four times, once at the hospital, once at the lab, and twice for the PD. It is no big deal. I've had four jobs in my life that did not apply: I cut material at Cloth World(first job), I sold ice cream in a Baskin and Robbine type store(second job), I worked for tax accountant part time(a few years ago), and I was an assistant officer manager for a computer software firm(college years).

DH has to be tested randomly as well. He is an auto mechanic. He is required to test drive vehicles.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
If it is accepted that you and I must be subjected for drug testing in
order to get our paycheck, why is it not accepted that those who receive
government assistance in the form of welfare or unemployment be
subjected to the same random screening and terms?

I DON'T accept that we should be screened for drugs. I consider it an invasion of privacy. I don't and never did take drugs, but I don't think it should be anyone's business if I did. Where does that end? How far can companies go controlling your non-work activities?. Of course if it impairs our ability to function (work, drive, etc.) that's another issue and should be dealt with harshly.

By the way, I've never had to have a physical or drug test for a job. I've worked in the computer/publishing industries (Burroughs Corp. and McGraw Hill), and as a free-lance consultant. Different industries, different rules, I guess.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA