homestead - Re: [Homestead] cap & trade

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] cap & trade
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:45:58 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

What I don't think Obama gets is that the people willing/able to pay more for 'environmentally friendly' energy or food are already doing it. The rest will fight him all the way. Just like health insurance; if the working poor could afford it, they'd already have
it. Forcing them to buy health insurance (or pay a lot more for energy or food) when they can't pay the bills they already have isn't the answer. I don't know what is.

With regard to health care, we're already paying for the uninsured, at least from the time that they get sick enough to drag themselves into an ER.

True, and I think that is what a lot of people want to reform. We have
to be more discriminating and make sure that those who are uninsured are
citizens. Furthermore, many people are underinsured, dealing with
pre-existing conditions or limited policies that would not cover things
like mental health care or addiction treatment or dental care.
Something needs to be done for self employed people, and we need to
really scale back the paperwork and cut the beauracracy in healthcare.
There needs to be an investigative division for fraud, and those who
commit fraud to gain treatment or benefits should be prosecuted or
expelled. There needs to be a Fairness Doctrine of Healthcare, so that
the American public has access to the same level of health care as the
American Congress, with the same type of policies. Alot of emergency
care could be eliminated with better education, with parents making
better decisions about their children, perhaps by taking them to a free
or scaled clinic staffed by volunteers instead of to the emergency room
where they charge you for the pillow you lay on. I think everyone in
this country should be able to have some kind of insurance. I just
don't think it is right that some pay for all...

Regarding cap & trade and other schemes to reduce carbon emissions: I
suspect it's already too late and we can just stand back and await the end of life as we know it. The Arctic ice is already pretty much
melted, islands are disappearing in the Pacific, and the weather has
gone screwy just about every where. I'm glad I'm an old fart with most of my life lived. I just hope I don't get reincarnated any time soon.

I suspect it is too late as well. On that, we can agree.

I apologize for being a smart ass in my other post. Don't take it
personal. I'm just punchy because I don't know where my kid is. He was
in the Samoan region a few days ago when the boat had to make an
unexpected stop for repairs. I haven't heard from him and can only
assume they made it back out to sea before the quake. He's not
scheduled to call for another few months....I'm just going on the odds
that he was back at sea and not in port. Yeah.

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed