homestead - Re: [Homestead] Swine flu

  • From: "wixlet AT gmail.com" <wixlet AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Swine flu
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:31:46 -0500

On 7/29/09, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone is thinking about it...

I'm in public health, though in an information-dissemination role
rather than a provider role, so it's at least in the back of my mind
(along with hurricanes, floods, and other disasters). In terms of
what we're doing to prepare as a family, I've yet to do anything out
of the ordinary. I stocked up on children's fever medication a couple
of months ago when Walgreen's had a buy-one-get-one deal, and I have
NyQuil on our shopping list for next month. Also on next month's
shopping list are masks and latex gloves, and those (and the NyQuil)
are definite flu-preparation/precaution items. I typically shop in
bulk on a quarterly schedule (August/September is one of my purchasing
cycles), and I'm sure that I'll do so next month with an eye toward
more easy-to-prepare foods than usual, since I'm the chief cook and am
just as likely to get sick as the husband and son.

The thing about work is, I'm compelled to work during an outbreak
because of the field I'm in. I'm not on one of the emergency teams
(which are staffed well in advance), but in a dire enough situation
the agency still needs warm (and healthy) bodies to answer the phones.

I'm preparing my home computer for emergency remote work, but the
timing is coincidental. I'm also prepared to pull my son out of
school if necessary and either bring him to work with me or make
arrangements to work remotely if his school is quarrantined.

It should be an interesting winter....

wen