homestead - Re: [Homestead] Swine flu

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Swine flu
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:28:31 -0400

> Just wondering if anyone is thinking about it...

I've been thinking about it since spring. Really, since they made such
a ruckus about the bird flu. That reminded me of how the media in Florida
would cry wolf over a minimal hurricane that was probably not headed our way
and then when one was headed our way people would not pay attention.

Here is an excerpt from a CDC page discussing the flu of 1918:

"In the 1918–1919 pandemic, a first or spring wave began in March 1918 and
spread unevenly through the United States, Europe, and possibly Asia over
the next 6 months (Figure
1<http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol12no01/05-0979.htm#Figure1>).
Illness rates were high, but death rates in most locales were not
appreciably above normal. A second or fall wave spread globally from
September to November 1918 and was highly fatal. In many nations, a third
wave occurred in early 1919
(*21<http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol12no01/05-0979.htm#21>
*)."

I think that people need to be ready, but then again, we should always be
ready for something. That's why I'm here.

A mortgage is a problem. Hopefully, in a dire situation where the whole
country was having shutdowns, there would be some leniency on things like
that.

I figure as far as stocking up, it's always good to have a good store of
food and medicine as well as some meat on the hoof. Seeds and things like
that should be in hand early this year if you don't save them.

Rob - Va