homestead - Re: [Homestead] Swine flu

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Swine flu
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone beside me think it is a bit strange that the MILITARY is on
standby?  I can't ever remember such a hoopla about something like this....

No wonder there are rumors flying around that this is a "weaponized"
version....and that the masses just aren't being told.  Are they discussing
martial law as a possibility?  If so, makes me wonder if it is a practice
run.....

I try to always have 3-6 months of food on hand, even if some of the meals
would be a bit odd (unbalanced or strange combos) under real "lock down"
circumstances.  Finally have 1 of 3 others convinced to do the same...
Learned in hurricanes that those who prepare ahead of time aren't part of the
big panic last minute fighting & shoving crowd that causes problems.  (People
up north probably see the same thing around ice storm warnings or major snow
blizzards.)

I'd venture to guess the kids would be more likely to give it to you, rather
than the other way around.

Why not think in terms of mode of transmission?  This is from earlier this
year, maybe they know more now.

"Transmission: Transmission of novel influenza A (H1N1) is being studied as
part of the ongoing outbreak investigation, but limited data available
indicate that this virus is likely transmitted in ways similar to other
influenza viruses. Seasonal human influenza viruses are thought to be
transmitted between persons primarily through large-particle respiratory
droplet transmission (e.g., when an infected person coughs or sneezes near a
susceptible person). Transmission via these large-particle droplets requires
close contact between source and recipient persons because droplets do not
remain suspended in the air and generally travel only a short distance (< 6
feet). Contact with contaminated surfaces is another possible source of
transmission and transmission via small-droplet nuclei (also called
“airborne” transmission) might also occur, but the contribution of these
modes of transmission to influenza epidemiology is uncertain. Because data on
the
transmission of novel H1N1 viruses are limited, the potential for ocular,
conjunctival, or gastrointestinal infection is unknown. Since this is a novel
influenza A (H1N1) virus in humans, transmission from infected persons to
close contacts might be common. All respiratory secretions and bodily fluids
(diarrheal stool) of novel influenza A (H1N1) cases should be considered
potentially infectious."

Droplets, ok so wear a mask in public.
Surface contact.... chlorine bleach is a great disinfectant.... wash hands
w/bleach.  Bleach handi-wipes or hand sanitizer in purses anyone???

I've done just those simple things when the rest of the family was really
sick (and I have lung disease that makes it really easy to get really
sick).... worn masks around them until they were well, washed my hands
constantly and with bleach. and twice a day wiped down any surfaces they came
in contact with (desktops, light switches, phones, door knobs, bathrooms)
daily.

Informaiton on exact transmission of H1N1 seems sketchy, but those are
probably good precautions.  If I had to work around the public, I would
definitely wear a mask.

--------