homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Heirs

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Heirs
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:50:07 EDT

Well, with a homestead full of rapidly maturing children, one of them will
likely live here after we are gone.

These are some observations I have on this excellent question:

* When we age enough to not be able to do the majority of labor on this
homestead ourselves, we plan to divest ourselves of possessions and live the
life of the contemplative in very modest digs with very modest surroundings.
That is, we plan for our personal lives to diminish naturally.

"Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof, and the day of
death to be longed for than the day of birth."

By this we hope to avoid an abrupt handing over of the reigns of the place.

*Times are changing and, says I, permanently. For our lifetimes we've
lived the paradigm that every generation goes off separately to seek its
fortune
and pretty damn early in life. This, I am anticipating, is changing back
to what it was before the industrial revolution as we know it. Before "the
almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be aburden, and desire
shall fail ....or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be
broken" I expect to see the fragmentation of immediate families cease to be
the norm.

* We (our immediate family) have entered into a pact that we will all help
each of the next generation set up on a homestead and/or set up in a
business. I mean a real business, a craft, a trade, something not dependent
on
someone else's whim.

My grandparent's farmstead, most of it, found its way into the hands of a
childless cousin who does not want to see the place pass out of the family or
out of farming. So she put the property in trust that anyone of the
immediate family who will occupy the farm and tend it may live there free of
cost
forever and in each generation with provisions for the occupants to pay the
taxes and such. This cousin's only siblilng, a sister, cannot occupy the
farm and none of said sister's children are capable or interested in it. So
one of my sisters has moved there. Such things can be done and can work, I
am witnessing same even as we speak.

James