homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Heirs

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Heirs
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 18:51:40 -0500

Heartwood ownership is evidenced by a family trust. We got our basic info and document format from a book on the subject published by Nolo Press, in Berkeley.

Our whole family "owns" these 130 acres. Chris and I are the trustees until we give that power to others or die. Now having experienced the many problems of dealing with a demented parent's real property without legal authority, we will likely appoint trustees while we are still in robust health.

We hope that a child or grandchild or two will live here at least part of the year but that is not essential. As long as a friend or caretaker is here for security, the others can use it as a vacation place, a place to write a book, a place to paint paintings, or do any other creative pursuit. The modest property taxes will be paid by an equally modest investment account.

We think of Heartwood as an ongoing family legacy property. I have little doubt that, as the world becomes ever more crazy, a quiet, private place of substantial acreage in beautiful surroundings will become ever more desirable.

One of the many plusses of such a trust is knowing that the extra care taken in planning and building, whether structures or landscaping, will long benefit our progeny. It is a fine feeling.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com
(New Ruralize page begun, see link at top of original site.
We welcome your suggestions for improvements.)