homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Heirs

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Heirs
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:29:25 -0400

> How does that work? If one child uses the land, what does the other get as
> an inheritance? I have two kids, but only one is likely to stay on the
> land.
> I'd like to set it up so they each get something and don't have to jump
> through hoops after I'm gone.

I did some Googling on living trusts and it seems it avoids probate and the
cost and taxes of that. That seems good. Also seems that the paperwork can
be done without a lawyer or much time form a lawyer.

I guess for me it's finding an heir. I should have another 20 to 30 years in
me. I'd like to have someone identified and living here in 10 years. There
is a good building site in the woods with a drive to it. Would be a good
place for a starter cabin.

Rob - Va