homestead - Re: [Homestead] colored pasta recipe wanted

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] colored pasta recipe wanted
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 00:35:35 -0400

Yes, most mac salads I've eaten have also been with elbow mac or rotinis. I said shrimp before, because I had shrimp on the brain, but I really meant crab. I love crabmeat, even canned crabmeat. I make a mac salad with crabmeat, and I suppose it would work with the alphabet pasta, too.

Lynda wrote:
I'd cook it al dente, drain and dump it in a pot of ice water. That will stop the cooking and it shouldn't get mushy on you.

Out here most of the mac salads that are mayo based are usually done with little
cut macaroni.

For the oil and vinegar based, I use whatever pasta I have on hand. AND
<g> whatever I have in the fridge -- diced or shredded cheese or crumbled
feta, cucumbers, zucs, onions (red or green), halved cherry tomatoes,
celery, crumbled bacon, little pieces of diced ham, fresh peas, kohlrabi, green beans and whatever I might have in the cupboard -- beets, garbanzo beans, asparagus, olives, pickles . . . Well, you get the picture.

Yeah, man asparagus would be good!

I did not get around to making it this afternoon. I suppose getting that done was wishful thinking. We had a minor emergency yesterday-one that has carried over into today. DH discovered that he had left the freezer door ajar. Luckily, it was the small freezer and not the big one, but still I had a good bit of food in there. I have been cooking since last night. Once it is defrosted, all you can do is cook it and refreeze it, or can it. That is a big plus for canning,,,,,no door to leave open,,,,no electricity to be turned off....etc. I was just panicked because I worked all winter raising chickens, and all my chicken was in that freezer. I did lose some veggies, but we did not lose any meat. We were lucky.

--
"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/