homestead - Re: [Homestead] colored pasta recipe wanted

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] colored pasta recipe wanted
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:07:12 EDT

In a message dated 7/11/2009 10:36:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net writes:

> >I bought some alphabet pasta that is colored/flavored: beet, spinach,
> wheat, and carrot. I bought it thinking that I would add it to soups,
> but I just never have. Is there anything I could make that would use
> some of this other than a soup-some kind of salad maybe? If you have
> used this type of pasta in a soup, salad, or other dish, please share a
> recipe..

Bev,

Recipes per se are odious. But just as a general principle, in the summer
we make a pasta dish by, of course, cooking the pasta and then adding
something that has oil so the pasta doesn't dry out ... olive oil is my
favorite
but mayonaise or grape seed oil or some such does well too. Then add some
green herb such as dill or cilantro. Then some cold raw veggies from the
garden ... tomatoes, cukes, summer squash, kohlrabi, etc. It's also good to
cut up some garlic scallions or onion scallions in the mix. It keeps in the
fridge for several days.

There is a local traditional summer dish on this paradigm which is elbow
macaroni, mayonaise, and bits of celery and ripe tomatoes.

James