homestead - Re: [Homestead] colored pasta recipe wanted

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] colored pasta recipe wanted
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:34:01 -0800

I'd cook it al dente, drain and dump it in a pot of ice water. That will stop the cooking and it shouldn't get mushy on you.

Out here most of the mac salads that are mayo based are usually done with little
cut macaroni.

For the oil and vinegar based, I use whatever pasta I have on hand. AND
<g> whatever I have in the fridge -- diced or shredded cheese or crumbled
feta, cucumbers, zucs, onions (red or green), halved cherry tomatoes,
celery, crumbled bacon, little pieces of diced ham, fresh peas, kohlrabi, green beans and whatever I might have in the cupboard -- beets, garbanzo beans, asparagus, olives, pickles . . . Well, you get the picture.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

I'm about to make the pasta salad. I've decided to skip the vinegar and
sugar additions and only use a mayo-mustard combination. My only
concern is the size of the pasta. I think most of these type salads are
made with elbow macaroni or rotini or shells, large shaped pastas. The
little alphabet/pellet shaped pasta I have is very small-not much to it.
I'm going to reduce the cooking time just to make sure the pasta holds
together and is not converted into an overcooked mush. I'm going to add
carrots, cherry toms, chopped garlic scapes, and onion scallions and
maybe some chickpeas. I'm wishing I had some fresh pak choy right now,
and a can of baby shrimp. nyum nyum.. :) No such luck, though, I don't
even have any fresh spinach!