homestead - Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:20:28 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I plan on doing all of the above.  Canning (I have two pressure canners
and lots of jars), freezing, eating fresh, and also growing dried.  I planted
4 varieties specifically for dried (black, white, pinto & garbanzo), in
addition to plenty for fresh.

I used to pressure can and freeze eons ago, and have already harvest some of
the dried beans, which so far seems easy enough.  Guessing yield a bit
harder, but it's all a careful observation and learning process this year for
sure.

I downloaded a brochure from the local university that had a chart with how
many row feet of each veggie needs to be planted to grow enough for a year's
supply, then multiplied times 4 ppl, then added another people for loss to
critters, weather, mistakes, etc.

I also went thru every grocery receipt from 2009 and entered the data into a
spreadsheet to learn exactly how much food of each type I normally eat in a
year, as a second guideline.

Now the watermelon, canteloupe, honey dew, acorn squash and cukes are covered
in flowers, and the yellow & zucchini are already producing.  Such fun ~~~!!!
Female corn on the stalks,,, soy bean are starting to flower, etc.   3 more
bags of onions harvested.  New tomatoes popping up seemingly daily.

I've started some more crops, since the local guidelines say I can still
plant.  3 growing seasons here allegedly..... good thing too, as it gives me
time to fix my mistakes in the learning process.

It's so rewarding to actually plant things, and surprising that things have
grown !!!!

Have been finding a green bug w/ black polka dots, ladybug size,,, slightlyl
teardrop shaped,,,, haven'tfigured out if it is a good guy or a bad guy yet.

Leslie, I don't know how many beans you planted, but surely you can can
or freeze or dry the beans to preserve them?