homestead - Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:50:07 -0400

I saw a bag of those in the feed store the other day. They were like
$49 for a 50# bag, I think. I assumed they were a cover crop and
feed.....good for human eating, too?? What do they look/taste like?
I also assume that they are called iron clay because they do well on red
clay to help loosen it? I don't have red clay, but I do have a rocky,
untillable pasture and it would be nice to overseed a legume and have a
legumy green manure. Would that be a waste of a good eating pea?

Robert Walton wrote:

I'm real later, but there is still enough time to plant some red
beans for dried peans, just going to plant a strip of them in the
field I am cover cropping. I'll also plant a strip of pure iron clay
peas there, too. I can use those for seeds and eating.

Rob - Va

--
"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA