homestead - Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 13:36:03 -0700 (PDT)

Really?  OK, then I'll let them all grow... there are a few out there where
there are only 6" between each melon.  I've been trying to train the vines to
grow a certain way, so that I have walking spaces down the row.  I measured
out the rows so carefully, and somehow all that extra space has been
disappearing this past 10 days.  The melons grew right thru the rabbit fence
and have escaped the garden... LOL.

I thought I had thoroughly picked beans on Friday and thought I could take
today off from the garden.... so I was up on a 25' ladder painting, and got
tired of that and decided to check the beans........... YIKES !  Over half a
plastic grocery bag...... and I didn't think those would be ready until
tomorrow.

I take my words back,,,, weeding was easier than picking beans !!!  I can't
get over how many beans can grow on a single plant or how fast they get big
enough to pick.

Dug up a few more potatoes today, finally some really decent sized ones (as
in big enough that I can't can them without cutting them up).  Guess they are
still growing even though it's been hot this week.  And it is really crazy,
because the biggest potatoes are growing in the worst soil conditions....

I hope every year growing food is as rewarding....  It is hard to explain to
my 'city friends' that I can't wait to wake up to see what I get to harvest
and eat for the day....

And I'm really greatful that all the various varieties of bees just "move
over" to another plant when I'm fiddling around the garden plants... I don't
like getting stung.

Tomorrow I'm cooking dinner for the family, everything except the meat, salt
& black pepper, will be fresh picked from the garden.

I beginning to think I'm actually having some beginners luck........

My watermelon never seem to care how crowded they get as long as I don't
walk on them when I'm watering, that is <g>  I just make sure there is
plenty of compost/mulch and keep them well watered.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."  Aldous Huxley