homestead - Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:31:56 -0400

> I'd appreciate a repost (from
> Rob?) with the recipe for dilly beans. Any other kind of canned bean
> recipe will be appreciated, too.

Must be the other Rob, cause I've not made them. Might try it though.

> James, about leather breeches<sp>, dried beans....is there any
> particular type that you string up? Exactly how do you do it? Any
> particular type of string? When you finally cook them, do you cook the
> whole pod like green beans or just the beans?

I am thinking to do the same. I want to do more drying. I've not dried beans
though. From reading you just take the ends off and string through the
middle, hang to dry and then crush them up whole to cook. Clarification
would be good.

I planted a variety I got from Henry Fields with a tree order "Pickin' and
Grinnin'"

Can't believe I ordered something with that name, but they are some really
nice beans. Hybrid. Nice long beans (most would have to be snipped off to
fit in a mason jar) and thin. Nice, nice, nice beans. But a hybrid. I also
planted some Derby and Contender for my later beans, they are just coming
up.

Planted soybeans a week ago and they are up. Plan to freeze them as endame.
I like that.

I'm real later, but there is still enough time to plant some red beans for
dried peans, just going to plant a strip of them in the field I am cover
cropping. I'll also plant a strip of pure iron clay peas there, too. I can
use those for seeds and eating.

Rob - Va