homestead - Re: [Homestead] pressure canners

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pressure canners
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:15:12 -0400

Wow...canning season? We just had our last frost last week. The only thing I'm harvesting is greens. Except for a few early Stupice (golf-ball sized at the moment), it will be a month or more before I see a tomato. Everything is sitting, waiting for warmer weather, especially squash, which isn't looking very happy. The early green beans that I started in cell packs in early April are just starting to bloom. Pole beans have just come through the ground. Onions are doing well, but not forming bulbs yet. Garlic doesn't care about the weather and looks great. Peas are just forming pods. Potatoes are still getting hilled...weeks away from blooming. Corn is an inch or two tall. I've still got a bunch of tomatoes to get planted, if it would stop raining long enough to prepare the bed.

I have a lot of pears amd a few peachs. It looks like the apples ALL got hit by the late frost...four apple trees, lots of blossoms, and , for the second year in a row, no fruit.

Today's project is to set up a bumch of pots with good soil to start the strawberry runners so I can force them in the greenhouse next spring.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA