homestead - Re: [Homestead] pressure canners

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] pressure canners
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:34:51 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Wow...canning season? We just had our last frost last week.

Well, some people in these parts have tomatoes. I don't yet. Before
the end of the week is out, I'll be picking green beans, and yesterday,
I picked my first cucumber. I now have only 4 cabbages in the
refrigerator, after making cole slaw with one last night...
I know that soon, very soon, I'll have beans, so I pulled out the
canners and checked everything well. I have never replaced my gaskets,
so I think I will do that this year. I have a big 22Q Presto canner, an
8 Quart Presto cooker and a 4 Qt Mirro. It is funny that I have 3, when
I am so scared of using them that I do it outside on the side burner of
the grill or on the propane burner. It is a homestead fear that I have
yet to conquer. I wish someone who pressure cans/cooks all the time
would come and give me a few tips or at least watch me to see if my
habits and methods are good/safe.

The only thing
I'm harvesting is greens.

I'm waiting on round two of spinach, harvesting chard and lettuce

Except for a few early Stupice (golf-ball sized at
the moment), it will be a month or more before I see a tomato.

no tomatoes here yet.

Everything is
sitting, waiting for warmer weather, especially squash, which isn't
looking very happy.

I've already cooked two batches of squash and have grated squash for
squash bread that I need to make.

The early green beans that I started in cell packs in early
April are just starting to bloom. Pole beans have just come through
the ground.

Some beans are blooming; I saw 3" long green beans on my bush Romas.

Onions are doing well, but not forming bulbs yet.

Same

Garlic doesn't
care about the weather and looks great.

I harvested my garlic last week, I let it cure for a few days outside
and I brought it in last night. Today, I am going to dry about half of
it, freeze some, and save some whole.

Peas are just forming pods.

My peas are done, I am just allowing them to produce seed now.

Potatoes
are still getting hilled...weeks away from blooming.

I have some I could dig.

Corn is an inch or two
tall.

I have two foot tall corn and I have two inch tall corn planted last week.

I have a lot of pears amd a few peachs. It looks like the apples ALL
got hit by the late frost...four apple trees, lots of blossoms, and ,
for the second year in a row, no fruit.

I have apples and pears. Lost peaches. It looks to be an average
blueberry year and a bumper blackberry year. All three of my grapevines
have grapes, some are 1/2" diameter. Yesterday, I noticed that the
Japanese beetles have finally arrived(they are about a week late this
year), so I may lose everything.

Today's project is to set up a bumch of pots with good soil to start
the strawberry runners so I can force them in the greenhouse next
spring.

I stopped pinching my blooms off last week, so I should start getting
strawberries soon.

I have some gardening pics on my blog, and will be putting up a few more
for my next entry which might be tonight, but probably tomorrow.

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/