homestead - Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] beans on steroids.... :-)
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:49:44 -0700 (PDT)

First case of green beans canned....  and judging by how many more will have
to be picked more or less on Sunday..... I'll have to can another 2-3 cases
this weekened.

First yellow squash harvested,,,,, YUM, I cooked it up for dinner mixed with
homegrown zucchini & onions.... what a difference from the grocery store
bought...

My sunflowers are over 6' tall now.  I can't believe it.  The beans have gone
so crazy tall, that I've told a few of my friends if they call, and my mom
can't find me to hunt me down in the bean rows, as I literally disappear in
the foliage when picking.  LOL.

OK, peas aren't supposed to grow here........... but guess what I found
today... yep, baby peas and pea flowers.  Must be the overnight cool
air,,,,,,, but the plants are seriously pathetic looking.

And the "internet" lied to me.......... it said 1-2 watermelons per
plant.......... would someone please tell that to all my melons (canteloupe,
watermelon and honey dew).   On one of the watermelons gone crazy.... there
are baby watermelons  3-4 to each vine !!!  How is that possible?  I think
I'm going to have to pinch a few off as there wont' be enough room for them
to grow.  Same with the honey dew melons.

I canned up some of the new potatoes, since it really is hot in the desert, I
figure that shelf life over the summer will be a tad tough.

I dug up some of the potatoes in the tires........ I think this has to be
done differently.  The big taters were down deep in the soil, but only a
couple of spuds in the actual tire area.... too hot??  That's what I'm
thinking at least for now.  The biggest tater was deep in cool soil in a tire
stack until a tree.

Every day now something needs to be picked.  At least the weeds are close to
non-existent after all the weeding (hard work!) early on.

I have lots of ears of corn now, and some stalks have 2 ears - so exciting!

I can't wait for some of the other things to be ready to harvest.  So far the
best tomato plants have been the Romas.  I threw in some old seed (hybrid of
who knows what kind just to get rid of it) in one garden and for some reason
they are growing well.  The Romas are spreading out real thick and taking
over a huge area - they are so thick I'm wondering how I'm going to get my
hands in to pluck the 'maters!  I had some other tomato plants up by the
house - the birds helped themselves.... grrrrr.... which proves that thick
foliage hiding the tomatoes is a must.

I'm also counting the # of plants (or row feet in some cases) and keeping
track of how much yield is achieved in either per person servings for fresh
or how many quarts & pints.

Have lots of jalapenos to pick........... anyone know the timing for canning?
I see them in jars and cans at the grocery, but don't see the time/method
for canning the extras.

So much fun !!!  But I will now have to remember never to go out to the
gardens without having a few pails with me.