homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ideas

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ideas
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:05:54 -0400

sjc wrote:

Well, I was too, but I fired the blasted mower (actually, declined to
have it repaired ONCE AGAIN!) and now use the scythe...quieter, more
pleasant exercise, doesn't chew up my toads and only takes about 20%
longer than mowing did. Plus which I can do it early in the
morning, dew or no, which is when I really prefer to work outside in
'grass season'.

When is 'grass season' up there? Same question for Lynn...

Here, we mow from April to October, and sometimes longer.

You guys are also lucky in that it doesn't get too hot up there. You
can swing it for a few hours without dying of heat stroke.

I used it for the 'big yard', about a half acre,

I mow 3+ acres...with lots of trees and obstacles. There are other
areas which can only be weed-eated due to large rocks. I suppose all of
that together would be close to 4 acres that would need to be cut at
least once a week, twice if it rains. James, at one time, said how long
it takes him to cut an acre, but I have forgotten. James? How long
would it take you to cut 4 acres? Bearing in mind that James is an
expert in this art.

at first, but now, as
the kids have moved around the world, I mow less and less area--not
much call for a volleyball court anymore, or ball-playing areas, etc,
so now I only mow an area that if put all together would likely
measure about 100' each way, square, plus paths to the garden (200'
or so by one swath-width), the outhouse, and the root cellar (another
100' or so, one swat wide). Whole thing takes little time: not even
worth getting out and fighting with a mower, not to mention the
maintenance on the bloomin' thing; the scythe requires nothing I
can't do myself, on the spot. Plus which with the scythe I trim as I
go...and that's what really ate up the time before. Counting trim
time, I don't spend as long doing with the scythe as I did with the
mower, by a long shot.

how do you trim?

Glad you and Lynn can do that. I'm not sure that my shoulders could
swing it. I've always wanted to try it, though. One of the reasons I'd
like to visit James is to get scything lessons<g>.
I love the idea of it, I'm just not sure that is the answer I need.

I remember Lynn talking about this back in March. Lynn, what did you
end up with and where did you buy it?

Bev

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/