homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ideas

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ideas
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 23:11:45 -0400

I recall that you were looking for a curved snath, so what made you
change your mind?

Also, what is your 'mowing season'?

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
I remember Lynn talking about this back in March. Lynn, what did
you end up with and where did you buy it?

I got a straight snath and 24" grass blade from scythesupply.com. I
got what they call 'the outfit', which includes a whetstone and
holder, peening jig, and The Scythe Book (interesting book; it's
amazing that someone can write so much about scythes).

I don't know if I mentioned it, but I have an old (very old)scythe
with a long, heavy, curved snath and a heavy blade. I could never get
the blade to hold an edge, and the whole thing was so heavy that I
never used it. This one is so much nicer. Very lightweight.

Swinging a scythe is a whole-body movement, so is less tiring for me
than the string trimmer. But it does require some shoulder strength
to thwack it through the grass.

Lynn Wigglesworth Tioga Co. PA

05/20/09 06:22:00

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/