homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ideas

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ideas
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:18:04 -0400

I just started using my new scythe this week. I used it to mow the areas around the house and barn for hay; it's the only hand tool I've found that doesn't chop the grass into little pieces.. I have WAY too much lawn and am slowly converting most of it to garden beds or 'hay field'.

There definately is a learning curve to using a scythe; I tried for a couple of hours then came in to watch a couple youtube videos of people 'doing it right'. I went out and tried for a couple more hours, and think I'm getting the hang of it. I can sure tell when I do it right; it feels good, cuts well, and lays the hay in a nice pile to my left (maybe one out of every 3 strokes is 'right'...but I'm getting better). I was tired, but it was the kind of tired that goes away quickly and didn't leave me stiff at all.

Scythes are so quiet; I can hear the birds chirping, and it doesn't throw vegetable matter all over me like the string trimmer does. And like Susan Jane, it's bliss not to have to fight with the mower or trimmer. Engines, even small ones, and I don't get along.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "sjc" <indexer AT fairpoint.net>