homestead - Re: [Homestead] potato flowers !

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] potato flowers !
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 18:18:31 -0400

Leslie wrote:

I have about 80 feet of potatoes in one patch, and those are starting
to flower; as are some of the potatoes in the tire.

In "the" tire? My tire stack is 3 high. The potatoes almost bloomed,
but I got some mulch on them and hilled them up some so I am hopeful
that I caught it in time. The taters in tires are still growing...no
bloomin' yet.

Tomato plants have been the hardest, and I finally purchased some at Walmart to at least have some, and threw some seeds in the ground. Those finally sprouted, but it will be too late.

I have never heard of planting tomato seeds in the ground. I have
always sown them in containers and then transplanted them 2-5 times
before putting them in the ground. Tomatoes won't fruit if it is over
about 95 degrees.
What kind did you buy?

Hope the spuds get big under the soil. I haven't been disturbing the
soil by the potatoe plants to see if any little spuds yet.

I'd be stealing little taters...:)

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/