homestead - Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 02:51:47 -0400

Ok, so leaving Jack intact is an option that might produce a mule or
another donkey in the future should I find the right person to trade
with. OTOH, he could be aggressive to baby animals that he is supposed
to guard.

At 28, is he too old to castrate-health problems with gelding at this
age?- and would anyone really advise this over the possibility of
getting a mule out of him?

My friend has dogs. One of her dogs is a rat terrier, the others are
labs( one just died so now there is only one lab) Dixie, the rat
terrier, is always around Jack, and Jack ignores her as if she wasn't
there. Like I say, I have only seen Jack react when he was being picked
on by the horses.

I really wouldn't want to geld him, but I suppose I may have to do so.
Marie has weighed in with this and agrees with the experts that you
should not use an intact donkey as a guardian, but I still hold out hope
that I would not need to cut him, so I'd really like to hear from
everyone on this...
BTW, just so I don't pass out, about how much does it cost to cut a donkey?

Just so everyone knows, I am seriously putting the cart before the
donkey here...Jack belongs to my friend and we haven't discussed his
ownership recently. I've just fallen in love with him and now that I am
learning more about them, the fit is getting better.