homestead - Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 13:38:01 -0800

We had two. A Jeruselum ass, a jenny, we got when she was 30+ years old. Sweet as the day was long. The folks who had her left her in a field to "survive" which meant they provided water. We got her home and fed her which seemed to have been a unique experience for her. Our kids were quite young then. She'd never been ridden or anything but the kidlets rode her and she was great with them. Not too pleased with adults but she tolerated us. When we moved to a colder area we found her a home with some older folks who wanted a lawn ornament. They built her a house *I'd* have loved to live in! We lost contact with them but the last time we talked to them she was 45.

Our other donkey was what is known as a burro. He was one of the BLM donkeys. He was intact and was between 5 and 10 years old when we got him. We broke him to pull a cart and to ride. He was stereotypical of donkeys. He was stubborn. He was smart. He wouldn't work if he didn't want to. He quit when he decided it was time to quit. However, he didn't have a mean bone in his body although he dumped the ex several times <g> He was also great with the kidlets (they were about 3 and 5 when we got the two donkeys).

I had them old with my calfing cows, my ewes when they were lambing, the horses in foal and after and with the goats. Thomasina "hung out" with the horses. Penteque hung out with the goats. When we had dog problems the horses would form a circle with their foals and the sheep and goats in the middle and Penteque and Thomasina would run at the dogs and bray like crazy.

When we first got Penteque we had a major problem because he'd never been around running water and he wouldn't cross the creek. We pulled, we pushed and we finally ran a rope around his middle and up between his legs and through his halter and dallyed up on the horn and had our big Quarter horse mare pull him across. Boy was she peeved <g> When we got him across she nailed him on the arse! He crossed the creek after that without any problems.

I just don't really think there are that many problem with him unless dumb people buy them. They're really quick figuring out someone is dumb and that they can do what they want and get away with it. If you don't allow it, they know it and that's the end of that.

I have seen a couple that were foundered. You can over feed them. They don't need grain or alfalfa. Oh, and they aren't just grazers, they'll browse, so your roses are fair game!

Lynda
Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.