homestead - Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 22:31:00 -0800

About 10 minutes morning and evening the first day or two. Then longer periods which I alternated the drag poles and the ground driving. Then took him out in the field and up and down the road. They get easily bored, so changing the scenary kept him interested. Always did the same with the horses.

Bridle with a pony D-ring snaffle. Surcingle is a type of belly band with rings on each side and two rings on the top that you snap the over-check (goes up between the ears, down between the eyes and then the leather piece splits and snaps to the bridle so they can't suddenly dip their head to the ground) and crupper (goes back and under the tail). Depending on how loosey goosey the critter is, you can use two long lines (one snapped to each side of the bit) from the center of the ring. Some you have to walk behind from the get go.

And, depending on the critter, some were ready for a human to be in the cart in a week, some took a month. Most of the donkeys and ponies were good in a couple of weeks, depending on age. Some of the horses took a bit longer. And some of the horses didn't take a week (the gypsy horses for one).

Lynda
Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

How much walking around a day?

Also
"drove" him from the ground in the round pen (bridle, surcingle, over-check,
crupper, long lines).

Lynda, please dumb it down for me. You lost me after bridle..but I
think I know/understand long lines-is that where you stand in the middle
of the ring and control him on a long line?

Then drove him from the ground behind the cart with a
50# bag of feed in the cart, then 100#. After a couple of weeks we were off
and about.

You mean after a few weeks, you got on the cart and you were off and
about? Or do you mean you lead him around as he pulled the cart?

From there the training for riding is easy cause they are already use to the
bridle, a cinch and going where you want them to go.

I can bridle Jack myself. He does fine with a bridle.

I broke all my horses
from the ground and to cart first. Tie a sack of grain on the saddle to get
them use to the weight. Plus we always used blankets with tennis balls on
the babies so they were never touchy about their legs. Because they were
used to the "bouncing balls," the hanging human legs were no big deal.

This is a keeper post for me...

I've never had an intact male donkey or horse bother the babies. The
weanlings, sometimes, but the babies never. The only problem I ever had
with an intact male anything was a Suffolk ram (I do NOT like Suffolk, btw
<g>) and he would head butt the horses to get to their feed. He stopped
when an old gelding picked him up and tossed him.

OK...

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/