homestead - Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Equus Asinus
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 23:11:16 -0800

We jerry-rigged all kinds of things to be carts. As far as pulling, I'd say probably the same as a pony, at least his weight and some easily pull twice their weight. We used to have gaited ponies and ponies we raced (an exhibit type racing that used to take place at California fairs). Peacock's Cock Robin was one of our Shetland/Hackney crosses that we both raced and showed in the gaited (fine harness) classes and we put him to work in the winter pulling a cart loaded with a bale or two of hay and a couple of sacks of grain. That would total well over 400 pounds. And you'd have to count the weight as even more since he was pulling it through axle deep mud.

Your problem will be adjusting shafts by length and height to fit the critter who is doing the pulling. Just be sure you cap the ends of the pipes you use AND that you grind down any sharp points where you do the welding!

Lynda
Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

Another keeper...thanks

I know what that is...

I think she has one of those, too.

I would not describe Jack as loosey goosey. He is a great conserver of
energy.<G> I think I would be walking behind him

I have a lawnmower and cart. The cart is 4x6, two wheeled. I can never
crank the lawnmower. Would I somehow be able to adapt that cart, maybe
weld on some metal, to adapt it for Jack? Is a two wheeled cart like
this large enough?

I've been watering my Paulownias by hand. My friend came down and we
put the barrel on the back of her golf cart and filled it. We drove the
water to the trees and then bucketed the water to the trees from the
barrel. If I had a donkey, could I have put water and fertilizer in
that 2 wheeled cart and hauled it down to the trees? I've read
guidelines that a donkey should only pack 20-30% of his own weight, but
how much can they safely pull in a wheeled cart?

How hard would it be to train him to pull a moldboard plow?
I honestly doubt I would try to plow. Mostly, Jack would be a guardian
and a pulling animal that would help move things-move the chicken
tractor, move rocks, move logs, firewood, etc.
I'm just wondering if I could adapt a cart I have or if I would have to
make or get something else.