homestead - [Homestead] Equus Asinus

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Equus Asinus
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:33:33 -0400

Ok, so my neighbor has given me an old special donkey issue of the
magazine Equus Caballus, and now I want a donkey. I actually might be
able to talk my friend out of her 28 year old Jack. I just love Jack.
I love the way he brays when he is excited about eating or to say hello.
He is intact, yet gentle to people and only aggressive to horses if
picked on. I recall that Marie, I think, has donkeys. I read that they
can live 40 years or more. I am thinking that I would like to keep Jack
with a herd of sheep, and maybe later with goats. I know they are good
guard animals, good companions, and good pack animals, etc. I've been
reading about their nutritional needs, which I was amazed to learn how
different they are from horses.
I want to know as much as possible about donkeys from those who have
owned them, especially the 'bad' stuff....
If I were to acquire Jack, what could I reasonably expect to teach him
at his age? He's never worked, but he has been ridden. Mostly, he has
been a pasture ornament during his life. My friend has owned him or
known him for about 10 or more years I think. He's in good health.
He was thought to be sterile but lo and behold he did sire a mule just
before my friend took possession of him.

Bev

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/