homestead - Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Gardening strategies, was Michihili (very long)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:12:23 -0400

I wanted to write a caveat to this.
I had never heard of shell beans, like Jacobs Cattle Beans, before
joining this list. Of course things are different now and you can even
buy seed for them in Walmart now. The concept of growing large beans
for shelling was as foreign to me as growing small beans/peas for
shelling must be to some of you! I think that Northerners grow large
beans to eat fresh and dry, like the above, and Southerners grow small
beans to eat fresh and dry, like my red field peas. We just call them
peas, because if you say beans in the South, our first thought is green
beans, (you call them snap beans, I call them green beans) not Boston
baked beans...lol..

Bev

EarthNSky wrote:

Now there are field peas, too, and most folks that I grew up with would put black eyed peas in this category. There are a bazillion types, all different colors and flavors. They are more beans than peas. They are best fresh, but are easily dried on the plant. They yield lots of peas and are also used for cover crops or animal feed, too. White acre peas are another favorite field pea of mine, and I recall that growing up, we shelled something called cream peas. Both
very good. I just took a picture of my red field peas. I'll send
it to you, Lynn. You will see that the peas are not a uniform color,
some are red, some are light brown. I think that the varying color is why it is a field pea and not a specific variety. They are very,
very good, especially in certain dishes with sausage or rice or jalepenos.<G>

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/