homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spring tasks and taking time to "smell the roses"

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spring tasks and taking time to "smell the roses"
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 23:57:28 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

Plant flowers. Sunflowers,

Check

hollyhocks,

got seedlings started-2 inches tall..this will be the first time I've
grown them

iris,

loads and loads of them, got another one for my water garden the other
day and transplanted some wild ones into the creekbed a few weeks ago.

tulips,

check, flowered and gone

daffodils,

check, flowered and gone

hibiscus,

I don't have one, bummer

lilacs,

I planted a lilac the first year here. The deer browse it and it is
still a stick.

rose of sharon,

I call it althea, one of my childhood favs...I refuse to buy a big one
and anything smaller than 4 or 5 feet gets eaten quickly.

forsythia,

hate the stuff...allergies...there was a hedge of it near the road, I
let my neighbor dig it up with his tractor.

climbing roses,

Check. I have a beautiful pale yellow rose called a Mother's Day rose.
I have a few other roses in odd places, and ocassionally I find one
that was planted 40 years ago down in the wooded area. Digging and
transplanting all those old roses into a dedicated bed is on my list of
things to do this year.

passion
vine,

It grows wild here..one of my favorites.

anything that blooms pretty. Scarlet Runner Beans work, too.

I bought a pack of seed because I forgot to save seed a few years back.
I planted the 10 seeds, so I am really excited about having SRB's
again. The hummers love them.

Today, I planted more monarda and lithodora, some blazing star
bulbs(gift), and sowed some seeds for cardinal vine, more calendula,
echinacea, columbine, cleome, a crapload of zinnias, .

In addition to all of that, I have candytuft, artemesias, azaleas,
balloon flower, phlox, confederate rose, carnations, blue sage,
nasturtiums, marigolds, cosmos, leadwort, lambs ears, globe alliums,
glads, freesias, rosemary(it flowers all the time), bleeding heart,
ditch lillies(naturalized daylillies everywhere), asiatic lillies, and
I've even got some cacti blooming!

Oh, and I've decided to grow cotton again this year. Cotton and okra
flowers are like hibiscus flowers...very beautiful.

I love flowers. I love herbs. I love gardening.

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/