homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spring tasks and taking time to "smell the roses"

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spring tasks and taking time to "smell the roses"
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:38:10 -0400

Lynn sorry to hear about your Grandma, I know the bittersweet
feeling. Gene, I'm glad your mom is in a place with lots of plantings
and flowers around, she must like that. My Grandmother is slowly
declining. She still loves that fact that I am homesteading and likes
to hear my tales of doing things like her parents did.

I've been good at scrounging flowers. There is an old graveyard in the
woods (property next to mine), I dug a few scoops of the periwinkle
that's grown out into the woods from the burial ground. There is only
one gravestone, she died in 1855, I like to think that the periwinkle
has been growing there for a very long time.

There are also lots of daffodils in the woods and fields that come up
wild. I divide and move some of them.

And of course, don't forget the ditch (tiger) lilies. They ones I
transplanted last year are coming back. I'd forgotten them.

Does anyone know if lambs ear has any use other than ornamental? I got
it on a trade with a gardening friend, not sure what to do with it
other than look at it and weed it out in the spring :>)

Sunflower seed packs are cheap and if you save seed from the hybrid
ones, you get interesting mixes. They usually go back to yellow.

Rob - Va