homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spring is here

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spring is here
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:55:47 -0500

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:28 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
> l  I have a gut feeling that people are still
> around, but just reading and gleaning.  I just them want them to know
> that they are not forgotten, that they have made an impact on someone,
> and that their words still are needed here.

That would be me. You don't want to hear most of what I'm saying these
days. Some horrible jinn has seized control of the agency, and
management has gone completely nutz. My division has gone from a
pleasant place to work to a hell hole. Last week, three people left or
were taken away after they were left in a severely emotionally
distressed state due to being screamed at or threatened or both by a
member of management. This week no one left screaming... what a treat.

We have heard that at a management meeting recently, there was a large
discussion about how to improve employee morale. Did I mention that
the managers are stupid? Sweet Mother -- if you make people sign out
to go to the latrine, it sort of ruins their morale. Never before have
we had this kind of atmosphere....it's always been a sort of collegial
place where it was assumed that most workers weren't freeloading (and
we've been so short staffed in the last few years that if you don't
beaver away you end up totally underwater).

Yeah, I know that this too shall pass, but I guess after years of
dealing with dire circumstances, I'm just not up to someone destroying
a good working atmosphere for no useful reason. On the positive side,
I managed to get together a cover letter and an updated resume so I
could apply for a transfer back to my old job (that I got bumped out
of the last time the state was broke). I'm amazingly over qualified
for the job, but I can see the assistant superintendent blocking the
transfer. I would get to write and edit all day long. Damn! That would
be nice

James, you made the right choice in setting up your bit of heaven and
getting out of cube hell.

Marie