homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spring is here

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spring is here
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:28:32 -0400

Robert Walton wrote:

I like reading or skimming the posts, but I guess the quiet times have
their place, too. Gives contrast.

Yeah, well, you might be confusing list mail, because I haven't seen ANY posts here for a while, and the whole month is really, really slow. I know about seasonal activity, but I'm not sure that is what has happened to Homestead. There used to be many hundreds subscribed, and maybe 50 or so would post. Now, only about 10 people post their activities.
There was a lady who lived in a trailer in Texas...Bonnie?? where is she?? Remember Marjon???? There was another lady in west Tennessee-Donna I think, a guy around Stillwater OK, Elyse??? up in Washington state?, the notorious Bella and Raven who were up around Vermont somewhere... Remember Vern, the other writer who lived in the Ozarks? Remember the days when Paula Speraneo used to post? I know she probably isn't doing aquaponics anymore-or maybe she is, but I often wonder what happens to people and why they stop posting. I hate it when people don't say goodbye! Many times, even those of us who remain stop posting about what we are doing and the decisions we are making in our lives. A while back, someone asked Lynn Wigglesworth about her cows. I do recall that she started with a dairy, and now has beef cattle, but I never 'saw' that transition. I think it happened during the divorce time when she was rather quiet on the list. Is that right, Lynn? IMO, that is the kind of thing that readers and other homesteaders in our 'community' wonder about. Have I ever said why I sold my beloved Katahdin sheep? The answer is that I needed money to retain an attorney back in 2005. My marriage was on the rocks and this is not something I am proud of, but it is life, and those life changes affect homesteading decisions and actions. I wish people would post more about how their lives change what they do. I have a gut feeling that people are still around, but just reading and gleaning. I just them want them to know that they are not forgotten, that they have made an impact on someone, and that their words still are needed here. You don't have to Tvo to be important.

What are you plowing with?

A moldboard or breaking plow. First and sometimes second time over a
plot, I'm really breaking. This land has been fallow a long time, even
with animals grazing, their are lots of sapling roots to break
through. I'm in the market for a chisel plow.

You have a horse strapped to that thing???? ;)

Tell me more about your Paulownia trees, I forget exactly what you are
doing with them.

Separate post.

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.