homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spring is here

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spring is here
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 01:39:13 -0400

Happy Equinox to all!

Robert Walton wrote:
Just a few hours :>) Actually, it's cooling off a bit here tonight,
so the first day of spring will be a little chilly. But, it's in the
air. Busy time.

Thanks Rob for posting. Sometimes, I feel like there are only a few of
us left on the list. I've been trying to lay low and give others a
chance, but....

I got all the orchard trees manured a few weeks ago, the spring treatment. Good timing, cause it rained slow of 5 days last week.

I've got horses back in the pasture, so tomorrow I will be collecting
some poop for a manure tea. Woohoo!
Our Paulownia order is due to arrive within the month, and when it does,
I'll have 50 trees to plant. DH and I spent the last few days repairing
the existing fence and installing a temporary fence that divides off the
front area where the trees will go. This evening, we laid out the grid
and put flags out where each tree will go. All I need are trees to
plant now.

I'd started plowing a 3/4 acre field I'm going to cover crop this year. Need to finish that, but soil is a little wet. I'll plant some oats to get some quick cover there. Maybe some crimson clover in it.

What are you plowing with?

I have a few plots to work and tomorrow I will be borrowing a tiller.
I'll prep the areas where I intend to grow corn, tomatoes, beans, and
peanuts. Even with my raised beds, I do still have to till a bit.

Are you growing oats for animals, allow them to graze them, or just as a
green manure or what?

My Black Locust trees came in a couple of days ago, right after the rain as luck would have it. I got them in yesterday, all 100. Tonight
there is a little rain, so that should help get them set in.

You must have less rocky soil than me. I could never have planted 100
trees in one day, maybe not even in a week.

I'm about 1/2 way through with fencing projects to keep the goats out
of the new fields I've carved out. Goats are occupied with kids, so not so worrisome on the fences. I just had milker #3 kid today. 2
nice kids, a buckling and doeling. I've got to get some pictures
posted. These two are a weird color. Parents are reddish colored,
these two have white in them and almost look pink. Weird.

Awesome news, Rob. Is your kidding season over now?

It may be Spring, but I can't put anything else out because we are still
expecting freezing temps.

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/