homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spring is here

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spring is here
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:03:38 -0400

> Thanks Rob for posting.  Sometimes, I feel like there are only a few of
> us left on the list.  I've been trying to lay low and give others a
> chance, but....

I like reading or skimming the posts, but I guess the quiet times have
their place, too. Gives contrast.

> I've got horses back in the pasture, so tomorrow I will be collecting
> some poop for a manure tea.  Woohoo!

Poop is good to be in. I got some nice stuff from those people a few
weeks ago. Have trailer loads to haul yet from another lady's horses.

> What are you plowing with?

A moldboard or breaking plow. First and sometimes second time over a
plot, I'm really breaking. This land has been fallow a long time, even
with animals grazing, their are lots of sapling roots to break
through. I'm in the market for a chisel plow.

> Are you growing oats for animals, allow them to graze them, or just as a
> green manure or what?

It's a good quick cover. Doesn't need good soil and it's too early for
buckwheat. I might let the goats graze it. Last year they just kept
getting out of the fence and eating what oats I had planted as a cover
crop in another field.

> You must have less rocky soil than me. I could never have planted 100
> trees in one day, maybe not even in a week.

I had a helper, but the trees are small, so the holes are small.

> Awesome news, Rob. Is your kidding season over now?

Yes, just one Boer doe to kid, but she is due in early May. I'm always
happy to get the kids on the ground. Now I've got the kids drinking
all the milk problem, but with 4 buck kids on my 3 milkers, that is
easy to solve. I'm going to start thinning them out in 2 weeks.

> 't put anything else out because we are still
> expecting freezing temps.

Same here, this weekend is going to freeze at night and there should
be more freezes. Potatoes go in as soon as the soil dries up a bit,
I'm hardening off my brassicas to plant next week.

Tell me more about your Paulownia trees, I forget exactly what you are
doing with them.

Rob - Va