homestead - Re: [Homestead] ants

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ants
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 08:19:04 -0600

Leslie, here in our desert landscape harvester ants carry off seeds laying on the ground. I've also had mice snoot around in my flats and eat seeds, but I can see their snoot holes in the soil when this occurs. As Bob says, birds also eat seeds. This is one reason Fukuoka developed the seed ball technique (you can Google it) but I have found in our land of little rain they don't break down as quickly as they should.--Sage

bobf wrote:
Leslie, no=one more knowledgeable answered, so ,as a fellow desert gardener,
I'll give you my best idea. Right at the break of dawn, (and other times
during the day, also), little chi-chi- birds (that is what I call all little
birds I don't bother to identify) come down and eat grass seed, seed from
weeds, and if the seeds aren't well protected, they will eat your garden
seed. I think you would see ant activity if it was enough activity to get
every seed, but that is just a guess.............