homestead - Re: [Homestead] James. why

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] James. why
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:20:08 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Enough lichens on the bark causes the bark to deteriorate and introduces bacterial diseases and harmful fungus. I lost a whole grove of cherry trees due to allowing the lichens to grow too thickly on them. Pity too, really good Montmorency trees that produced heavily.
Shame to lose a good fruit tree, for sure. Especially a cherry (personal point of view....)

Guess we're likely saved from such by our hostile winters??? Something, anyway, because it so far hasn't been a problem.
My trees are exposed to plenty of wind/air moving; that is also perhaps a mitigating factor, along with our crisp air, with which we are blessed most of the year (most years, at any rate!) despite our high rainfall.
Something else to watch out for when I move south, I guess.....

SJ