homestead - [Homestead] Craft wood, purchase or harvest and process

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Craft wood, purchase or harvest and process
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:28:18 -0700

I only need very small irregular shaped pieces of wood stock so the leftovers
from the veneer trade and even trees that are not timber quality at all do
fine for me. This last cherry wood (#2 grade and #3 grade) I paid $1.50 a board
foot kiln dried and in the rough. I got maybe 40% to 50% good yield.

That surprised me. Was your decision to purchase rather than harvest and process based on time? Yes, I am fully aware of the effort and time involved to take wood from tree to workbench.

I wish I had more cherry. I bought a pickup load twenty years ago for thirty cents a board foot, rough and raw. Some is still stacked and stickered in the old barn. The best of it, clear, is curing in the form of long, temporary desk and shelf boards. I like old wood. Although old oak can be beyond fun.