homestead - Re: [Homestead] James. why

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] James. why
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 22:07:51 +0000

Just because a lichen may play a part in the decomposition of something
living does not make it evil. it is playing a role in nature and sometimes
the role is to remove life forms and re-distribute the resources. it seems
that lichens show up on trees when the trees are stressed or not in the right
soil pH for that tree. I know crepe myrtles will get lichens and sometimes
keep them a really long time before they die, but it seems that there are
less lichens on the trees in the more acidic pH soils. and the trees without
lichens look a lot healthier than those with. same thing with our elms around
the house. i love the usnea moss, but it seems the trees that are dying have
the most moss. i don't think the moss is killing the tree, but the moss is
taking advantage of a situation conducive to growth, which is the same
condition that is not conducive to the tree.

if james can make his tree less appealing to the lichens, that might be
better for the tree, unless the lichens are an indicator that something else
is wrong. just like in allopathic medicine, sometimes the bandaid approach
really isn't solving the problem, just making it appear to go away. but
sometimes a bandaid is all that is needed, just a little protective time to
set things right.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)